A couple firsts for the babies the last few weeks. There's even been a first for my sweet Sage -- she threw up for the first time ever, but I didn't get a picture of that! -sj
1st Solids
December 5, 2008
The twins had their 6 month well check with the Pediatrician on Dec. 3rd. Reese hadn't gained an ounce since her 4 month appointment staying at 12# 9oz. and Mira gained a pound weighing in at 11# 7 oz. Reese joined Mira below the growth curve for weight. Dr. G good naturedly said, "These babies are ready for solids! You need to start feeding those babies cereal twice a day - in the morning and evening, and don't take out any other feedings." I guess I make skim milk, and not enough of it! The thought of trying to fit two more things into our already full schedule made me want to cry. A couple days later, Coby was home in time to help me feed them...

Reese liked the rice cereal, but had a hard time keeping her tongue, and therefore, the food in her mouth. She stopped thrusting her tongue out after a week or so, which made for much less mess.

Mira REALLY liked the cereal the first night - swallowing and opening her mouth for more, reaching for the spoon... The next morning and for a few days after, she would NOT open her mouth, which was kind of funny to me since she puts EVERYTHING in her mouth. She eventually got the hang of it and remembered she liked it.
December 18, 2008 (Mira, Reese)Patiently waiting (for the moment) for their cereal. I still can't believe I have two sometimes...
1st Self Bottle Feed - out of desperation!
December 9, 2008 (Mira, Reese)
Right before bed, the babies always get a bottle after they nurse to top 'em off. This particular night, Coby wasn't home from work yet, so Sage was helping me by giving Mira her bottle, while I fed Reese. Both babies ended up needing me at the same time between Mira getting a bubble and Reese seriously leaking milk out of both corners of her mouth. I just didn't have enough hands and I was getting all sweaty... So, I made them feed themselves. They did pretty good, however, I eventually moved them to lying flat on their backs on the floor and that was easier for them. You can't tell in this picture but Reese white nuckles her bottle, and Mira practically sticks her dainty little pinkies out.
1st Roll
December 9, 2008 (Mira, Reese)Right before bed, the babies always get a bottle after they nurse to top 'em off. This particular night, Coby wasn't home from work yet, so Sage was helping me by giving Mira her bottle, while I fed Reese. Both babies ended up needing me at the same time between Mira getting a bubble and Reese seriously leaking milk out of both corners of her mouth. I just didn't have enough hands and I was getting all sweaty... So, I made them feed themselves. They did pretty good, however, I eventually moved them to lying flat on their backs on the floor and that was easier for them. You can't tell in this picture but Reese white nuckles her bottle, and Mira practically sticks her dainty little pinkies out.
1st Roll

2 comments:
Is Mira sneaking a swig of Reese's bottle when you're not looking? Reese totally has that infant-y look to her. I bet as they get older, they will swap growth spurts. Neat to watch it thru the pics.
With all that breast feeding it's no wonder you were leery about adding the solids.
And how did you pull off not having a vomiting kid for 5 YEARS?
Good for you for sticking to the cereal, my babies love it the first time then hate it, so I give up. Maybe I'll try harder this time. We didn't make it to Vancouver on Christmas day. Funny that we were heading to the same street corner. Hope you had a great time with your family!
Post a Comment