We enjoyed a wonderful white Christmas this year - my first, that I can remember.
WHITE was an understatement... They have been calling this storm the "Arctic Blast". Funny since it's not near the storm other areas of the country get. But, the Portland area basically shut down for almost two weeks with the biggest/longest winter storm in 40 years. We probably had 16 inches of snow in our yard. Coby bought chains for our van and car and braved the roads, going in to the office almost every day, basically so he could cancel his patients that wouldn't have shown up any way. The last week of school before Christmas break was canceled. Poor Sage prayed every night that she'd be able to go to school the next day. One night she asked how come she didn't get to go to school even though she'd prayed she would be able to the night before. I told her there must be lots of other kids praying that school would be canceled again. One of the days, Sage played in the snow with our neighbors and her dad, and another day, I packed up the babies and Sage for the day and we went to our friends the Lee's, so Sage could play in the snow with Jayda and Blake.
On the afternoon of Christmas Eve, we caroled to a few of our neighbors and friends on our street. Stacy and Lisa, two of our neighbors, shared Christmas Eve dinner with us. The evening consisted of eating Clam Chowder in homemade bread bowls (a tradition from Coby's family), watching "Mr. Krueger's Christmas" commentated by Sage (I guess she's seen it a few times), sharing memories of Christmases past, Sage opening gifts from Stacy, and finally the Tippetts traditional Christmas Eve gift of pj's. The best was watching Sage open one of the gifts from Stacy -- she was so tickled that she got her OWN pack of gum - no other gift this Christmas got near the reaction -- she couldn't stop giggling, and grinning so big -- I wish I'd had the camera rolling, but who would've thought? The babies were in bed for most of the action, but it was fun thinking that maybe next year we could stage our own nativity now that we have 3 kids.
Christmas morning we enjoyed our own little family time. The babies were entertained by the wrapping paper and bows, and Sage commented, "Santa must have borrowed our wrapping paper." That kid... What was Santa thinking not using his own paper? Maybe he'll be smarter next year. The snow that had kept us from venturing too far from home for almost two weeks melted on the arterial streets and freeways enough that day that we were able to venture over to the Sorks house in Vancouver to visit with the rest of my family. (Tricia was here from AZ and Jason was here from MI, but wit hthe snow we hadn't seen much of anyone.)
As the holiday season closes out another year, I find myself counting my many blessings. We were blessed with so much in 2008. I'm most grateful for my sweet little family, my big extended family, our friends, and especially the peace I feel knowing Jesus Christ was born to save the world from sin. - sj





5 comments:
Oh, your girls are so cute. I love the smile on Sage's face with her MP3 player. She is such a big girl! And what cute dresses! Loves. Wendy
Wasn't that snow amazing? We had so much fun in it! I have to say Justin was one of those other kids praying his little heart out each night that he would NOT have school the next day. He made me laugh. I'm glad you all had a happy Christmas!
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful - what better describes your last three blog updates AND your three beautiful Christmas angels?! Love you all so much! Grandma Tash
Wow no school Sage must have been so bored but I bet you loved the help. Sage looks so big we miss you guys.
Hi Shalyce!!
Don't know if you remember me old roomie. It looks like things are great for you and your sweet family. Congratulations on the twins! I would love to catch up some time.
Post a Comment